Friday, June 15, 2012

In-N-Out


My daughter went on a school trip to Washington DC recently. They were to meet for a flight at Dallas/Fort Worth airport on an early Saturday morning so we decided to drive up and stay in a hotel. We would take my daughter to the airport for an early morning flight and be in-n-out without much traffic. It had been a while since I had been to that airport because Austin has a new airport that we’ve been using. We live in Waco, Texas which is 100 miles south of the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex and 100 miles north from Austin.

We planned to hit the road around 1:30 PM since this would get us to our hotel ahead of the traffic. Well we didn’t get off until 3:30 and this put us into the 5:00 PM traffic. Like I said, it’s been a while since I’ve been to Dallas; new buildings, highways, and one major landmark is gone. The old “Texas Stadium” where the Dallas Cowboy football team used to play back in the glory days was no longer there since they blew it up a few years ago and built the new “Cowboy Stadium” now ten or fifteen miles away from the old location.

Needless to say, things were not coming together for a successful trip. Instead of having a detailed map, I just thought I could remember how to get to where I was going. All of a sudden my wife noticed a sign that told us we were headed to Carrolton which was about five miles North East of where we needed to be. “We’re lost aren’t we”, she said. Like most men, I didn’t want to admit it; hoping I could make a turn and get back on track and keep my self-esteem intact.

The interesting thing about the whole experience is that we had been going through a sermon series at our church called, “Stories for the Road” which was about the path God provides for us; the sure way that has been proven over and over throughout history to take us to where we need to go. The series emphasized planning for the journey and paying attention to the direction God gives in His Word as we travel through life.

Unfortunately, we had not finished the series and I could’ve use that last one called “Pay Strict Attention” because I had not focused on the exit. Instead, I was focused on the things that really didn’t matter like the neat tall buildings and the multilevel overpasses.

Anyway, I finally went into a store and got directions to get us back on track. As we took a road to connect to the right highway, my daughter says, “Hey that’s the hamburger place I saw on TV”. She watches one of those cable channels about food joints and had seen an episode on In-N-Out Burger.

We finally made it to the hotel, checked in, and then decided it was time to get something to eat so off to In-N-Out Burger we went. So for me, the whole experience turned out alright and also gave me another lesson; pay close attention and know where you are going but if you get lost along the way, ask for help and remain positive. Who knows, you might just see something or learn something as you get back on the right road that you will be able to smile about and share with others. :)

Thanks for reading this blog. I'd like to invite you to take a look at my other blogs at the links below:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment